The worldwide pandemic has completely reshaped the office and the way, when, and the place individuals work. Enterprise fashions have been perpetually disrupted with the conclusion that remote work is wise, strategic, and sustainable for corporations to embrace, bettering not solely the underside line but in addition offering advantages to the general workforce.
Earlier than the pandemic, solely 5.2% of the U.S. workforce worked from home full time. As we speak, 58% are working remotely. And in accordance to a brand new FlexJobs survey of more than 2,000 pandemic remote workers, 65% would favor to keep absolutely remote after the pandemic, and 58% say they might “completely” search for a brand new job in the event that they weren’t allowed to proceed working remotely of their present place. However not all companies are prepared to make the leap to long-term remote work.
In case you’re an expert whose firm is asking everybody to return to the workplace, what are your choices?
The excellent news is that the remote job market has grown by leaps and bounds this yr, and can doubtless proceed to achieve this. FlexJobs noticed a 76% enhance in absolutely remote job listings in 2020 over 2019.
And even when an organization isn’t prepared for absolutely remote work, 82% of middle-market CEOs say they are likely to allow for a partially remote workforce even after the pandemic is over.
Let’s deal with each conditions: How to find a brand new, completely remote job—and what to say in order for you to keep at your present job, however work remotely a number of the time.
Technique 1: Searching for a completely remote job
In case you’ve been working remotely for the previous yr, you may have remote work expertise—a extremely useful asset in your remote-job search. Point out this remote experience on your resume and in cover letters.
What counts as remote expertise?
- Working not in the identical bodily area as your coworkers, throughout time zones or in several workplaces, for instance
- Working from residence often or usually
- Incomes a level or certification on-line
- Volunteering the place you probably did many of the work from your property workplace
Together with having some remote expertise and robust remote abilities, the secret is to talk that remote work expertise and abilities into your software supplies. We suggest job seekers body their software supplies (resume, cowl letter) very particularly when making use of to a remote job versus non-remote jobs.
Listed here are three particular methods to spotlight your remote work expertise and abilities in your resume:
- State it clearly. In your Expertise part, point out “Remote Work” subsequent to your job title or location. For instance, Director of Advertising (100% Remote Work) or Excessive College Biology Instructor, Partially Remote Work, Anaheim, CA.
- Embrace your expertise or abilities within the descriptions of your previous jobs. For instance, “led a workforce of 5 customer support reps in a totally remote-work setting, and efficiently earned a mean workforce satisfaction score of 94%.”
- Construct it into your abilities part. For instance, be sure you record the kinds of abilities it takes to be a profitable remote employee. Time and activity administration, communication, self-management, the power to work independently, and luxury with know-how are a number of the high abilities employers like to see when hiring for remote jobs.
Lastly, make certain you’re on the lookout for remote jobs in probably the most reliable of locations. Sadly, there’s a lengthy historical past of work-from-home scams. The Federal Commerce Fee obtained greater than 58,000 reports of work-from-home scams between 2015 and 2019, with victims dropping a mean of $1,200 to a rip-off. And the pandemic has solely elevated their prevalence.
How are you going to keep protected? Begin with specialised remote-work websites, and irrespective of the positioning, listen to the standard management course of for his or her job listings. Do they display screen each job and firm earlier than posting, or depend on job seekers to self-screen? It’s necessary to use remote job sources that assist join you to the most effective listings, and keep away from the scams, multi-level advertising and marketing, and different less-than-professional alternatives.
Technique 2: Negotiating a hybrid remote work association
In case you take pleasure in your present position, however you’re not occupied with working from the workplace on a regular basis, you’re not alone! In accordance to that very same FlexJobs survey, 33% of pros would favor a hybrid work scenario after the pandemic.
Our Career Coaching Team recommends the next strategy when asking for a hybrid work scenario:
1. Ask your supervisor for a gathering to talk about your choices. Right here’s a pattern that you may adapt:
To finest put together for the approaching months, I’d like to get a very good sense of the corporate’s plans to return to the workplace and what the choices are for longer-term remote work. Might we arrange a name for later this week?
2. Put together a proposal to current in your assembly. Embrace the particular association you’d ideally like (for instance, working from residence three days per week), your reasoning for the request and the skilled and work-related (not private) advantages of a hybrid association, and particulars or eventualities to your potential schedule and communication with the workforce.
3. Apply your pitch till you are feeling assured delivering it, and put together responses to attainable questions your supervisor might need. Strive to anticipate their considerations or worries forward of time, and brainstorm concepts to divert any pushback you may obtain.
4. In case you don’t obtain a “sure” instantly, you may want to ask your supervisor what considerations they’ve, after which consider methods to deal with these. Take into account asking to revisit the topic three or six months from now, or suggest a trial run the place you’ll be able to reveal how the association would work.
Over the past yr, remote work has confirmed itself to be a wise, strategic, and sustainable choice for tens of millions. As more companies embrace remote work for the long-term, I absolutely count on that the variety of jobs that may be carried out from anyplace will proceed to develop as nicely. In case you see remote work as a key a part of your skilled future, now could be the time to make it occur for your self.