After Disney and Netflix each reported lower-than-expected subscribers to their streaming providers lately, a brand new examine lends credence to the speculation that buyers could also be turning into overwhelmed by the sheer variety of streaming providers accessible. The survey was performed by Verizon Media and Publicis Media and seemed on the pattern of cord-cutting and twine stacking, the latter being outlined as “subscribing to each pay TV and a number of streaming providers.” Right here’s what the examine discovered :
- 68% of Individuals use their sensible TV’s built-in software program to entry streaming providers.
- 50% depend on related units (akin to an Apple TV or Hearth TV) to entry streaming providers.
- Shoppers who use streaming providers entry 5 providers on common.
- Twine stackers (those that use streaming providers and cable TV) use 7 streaming providers on common.
- 67% of related machine customers say it’s troublesome to determine what to look at as a result of there’s an excessive amount of choice of content material accessible.
- 56% say they’re overwhelmed by the variety of streaming providers to select from.
- Of the respondents that accessed 5 or extra streaming providers, a whopping 80% stated they wished there was a “common search” characteristic that allowed them to seek out content material throughout a number of streaming providers.
- Practically half–48% of respondents say they’re apprehensive about how a lot cash streaming providers are costing them.
- Unsurprisingly then, one in two streaming service customers shares logins so as to preserve prices down.
- A majority of respondents–60% of them–stated they wished extra streaming providers supplied ad-supported subscription tiers.
The survey, referred to as the 2021 CTV Progress Alternative Report, was performed between February 1-11, 2021 amongst over 3,000 nationally consultant TV viewers.