Whereas I’d like to be the sort of one that maintains a day by day to-do list, too usually I’ll simply leap into no matter process is in entrance of me with out reflecting on what else I have to do. And when the day is finished, it’s all too straightforward to only stroll away from my desk as a substitute of taking inventory of how issues went.
These days, although, I’ve discovered a technique to make my to-do list unimaginable to disregard. By scheduling my list to load in a browser tab on my pc, each in the beginning and finish of the day, I’ve taken all of the friction out of the method. Now the one means I can neglect my to-do list is to proactively dismiss it.
If you wish to arrange one thing comparable, right here’s do it on a Home windows PC or Mac:
Scheduling your to-do list in Home windows
Step one is to create a command that can launch a particular web site in your net browser of alternative. Right here’s the simplest means to do this:
- Within the Begin menu, right-click in your net browser, spotlight “Extra,” then choose “Open file location.”
- In File Explorer, right-click in your browser and choose “Properties.”
- Copy your entire line that seems below “Goal,” then paste it right into a textual content corresponding to NotePad.
- To the top of this line, add the web site on your to-do list, then copy your entire line to your clipboard.
At this level, it’s best to have copied one thing that appears like this:
“C:Program Recordsdata (x86)MicrosoftEdgeApplicationmsedge.exe” https://todoist.com/app/immediately
In my case, I’m utilizing Microsoft Edge to load the “In the present day” part of Todoist, however you possibly can select a special net browser and to-do list service as a substitute. Now we simply have to automate opening this web site at scheduled instances:
- From the Home windows Begin menu or search bar, seek for “Process Scheduler” and open it.
- On the precise sidebar in Process Scheduler, choose “Create Fundamental Process.”
- Give the duty a reputation, like “Each day To Do,” then hit “Subsequent.”
- Choose “Weekly” for when the duty ought to begin, then hit “Subsequent.”
- Select the time and the times of the week whenever you need the to-do list to look, then hit “Subsequent.”
- Make sure that “Begin a program” is chosen on the subsequent step, then hit “Subsequent.”
- Paste the command you copied above, hit “Subsequent,” hit “Sure,” then hit “End.”
If you would like the to-do list to pop up greater than as soon as per day, simply repeat the steps above with a special time. And if you wish to cease seeing these reminders, right-click in your “Each day To Do” merchandise in Process Scheduler, then choose “Disable” or “Delete.”
Scheduling your to-do on a Mac
To make your to-do list web site seem on a Mac, you’ll use Apple’s Automator app to launch the location and set off it by a recurring occasion in your calendar.
- Hit Cmd-House and kind “Automator,” then hit Enter.
- When the file picker seems, hit “New Doc,” then choose “Calendar Alarm.”
- Below the Library sidebar on the left, choose “Web.”
- From the center bar, drag “Get Specified URLs” into the realm on the precise.
- Double-click on the “apple.com” handle and enter the web site on your to-do list as a substitute.
- From the center bar, drag “Show Webpages” beneath the “Get Specified URLs” field.
- From the menu bar, choose File > Save and provides this routine a reputation, like “Each day To Do,” then hit “Save.”
- When Calendar opens, click on in your newly created occasion, then change the beginning time to whenever you’d just like the to-do list to pop up.
- Below “Repeat,” choose “Customized,” then select the times of the week on which the list ought to seem.
- Optionally, click on the calendar icon on the high proper, then uncheck “Automator” below “On My Mac” so these occasions don’t litter up your agenda.
In the event you ever need to cease receiving these alerts, simply delete the occasion out of your calendar, together with all future occasions, when prompted.
In fact, you’ll nonetheless should take a couple of minutes to fill out and test off your to-do list with both of those strategies. However if you happen to shut the browser tab with out doing so, that’s completely on you.