Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey is stepping down, the firm announced Monday. The large emptiness that transfer creates shall be crammed by Twitter’s chief know-how officer Parag Agrawal.
Who? Parag Agrawal. Although his profile hasn’t precisely been excessive, Agrawal has been a key lieutenant of Dorsey’s for years. Right here are some things to find out about Twitter’s new chief.
1. He’s a Twitter veteran. Agrawal has spent most of his profession at Twitter. He joined the firm in 2011 and took the CTO position in 2017.
2. His previous took him from Bombay to Stanford. He holds a Ph.D. in laptop science from Stanford College and a bachelor’s diploma in laptop science and engineering from the Indian Institute of Expertise in Bombay, India. Earlier than coming to Twitter, Agrawal did analysis internships at AT&T, Microsoft ,and Yahoo.
3. He’s championed AI. Agrawal elevated the pace of new know-how deployment at Twitter, and likewise sought to extend the use of machine studying throughout the firm’s methods. Earlier than turning into CTO he targeted on methods to extend viewers development in 2016 and 2017.
4. In accordance with Dorsey, Agrawal will get Twitter. Dorsey wrote in an inner message that he had deliberate on Agrawal to switch succeed him “for a while given how deeply he understands the firm and its wants.”
5. His eye is on the future. Agrawal was concerned in hiring Jay Graber, the new lead for Twitter’s Undertaking Bluesky. The analysis initiative is targeted on growing a set of open and decentralized requirements that might give customers extra management of their content material, assist social media firms collaborate on how posts are promoted, and doubtlessly permit for more practical administration of misinformation and different dangerous content material.
Agrawal will even fill a chair on Twitter’s board of administrators. Dorsey will stay a member of the board till his time period expires at the 2022 assembly of stockholders, the firm says.
Monday’s different main staffing information is that Bret Taylor, who had been a Twitter board member, will turn out to be the new chairman of the board. Taylor was CTO of Fb from 2009-2012, cofounded the once-influential social media aggregator FriendFeed, created on-line collaboration instrument Quip and offered it to Salesforce, and is additionally the obvious Salesforce CEO heir apparent.