Dictionary.com has introduced that it has added over 300 new phrases and phrases to its on-line choices. And a few of these choices are a bit stunning. Others are an indication of our altering instances, whereas nonetheless others signify the progress made in social justice actions.
Dictionary.com’s addition of those phrases and phrases to its lexicon is just not solely important as a result of the positioning is the world’s main useful resource for wanting up phrases and phrases, the corporate’s lexicon additionally offers definitions for Amazon’s Alexa digital assistant. Which means, starting at this time you possibly can ask Alexa “what’s an asshat?” and have the time period defined to you.
Right here’s a handful of Dictionary.com’s new notable additions and their definitions:
- 5G: fifth-generation: being or referring to communications know-how or a cellular system that helps a lot quicker data-transfer speeds with considerably decrease latency than earlier variations.
- asshat: slang: a silly, annoying, or contemptible particular person; asshole.
- Aunt Jemima: slang: Disparaging and offensive. A Black girl thought of by different Black individuals to be subservient to or to curry favor with white individuals.
- Black Code: (within the ex-Accomplice states) any code of regulation that outlined and particularly restricted the rights of previously enslaved African People within the interval instantly following the Civil Warfare.
- content material warning: abbreviation CW: a said warning that the content material of the instantly following textual content, video, and so forth., might upset or offend some individuals.
- cultural appropriation: the adoption, often with out acknowledgment, of cultural id markers from subcultures or minority communities into mainstream tradition by individuals with a comparatively privileged standing.
- home terrorism: the illegal use of violence or threats in opposition to a rustic’s civilian inhabitants or authorities by a person or group based mostly and working inside the identical nation and with out overseas path, with the purpose of furthering political, social, or ideological goals.
- deplatform: to ban (an individual or individuals) from sharing their views in a public discussion board, particularly by banning a consumer from posting on a social media web site or software.
- ghost gun: a gun that doesn’t have a serial quantity and can’t be simply traced, particularly one assembled at residence from elements bought with out a background examine.
- ghost kitchen: a industrial facility that prepares and cooks restaurant-style meals for supply on to prospects or to a number of dine-in eating places.
- long COVID: a situation characterised by signs or well being issues that linger or first seem after supposed restoration from an acute part of COVID-19 an infection.
- long hauler: pathology. an individual who experiences signs or well being issues that linger or first seem after supposed restoration from an related acute sickness or energetic an infection.
- shitshow: an individual or factor that could be a complete mess, failure, or catastrophe.
- facet hustle: a job or occupation that brings in more money past one’s common job and most important supply of earnings.
- silver fox: a sexy older particular person with grey or silver hair, particularly a person.
- snack: slang. a horny and bodily enticing particular person; hottie.
- theater: a public show of motion or speech that offers a misunderstanding of engaging in or promising one thing, merely for the sake of appearances
- zaddy: a sexy man who can also be fashionable, charming, and self-confident.